Proper safety precautions are essential for any laboratory or fieldwork in soil science, and the first step towards ensuring safety for all students and instructors is to review the potential hazards, safety equipment, and procedures for the Soils Teaching Lab. In addition, a thorough understanding of the structure of this laboratory manual, and instructor expectations is essential for student success.
- Orient students on all safety aspects of the Soils Teaching Lab.
- Review the course syllabus and the structure of the Soils Laboratory Manual.
- Course syllabus
You will receive a syllabus for AGRON 305 during lab. This syllabus will contain information for both the lecture and the lab components of the course. If updates are required, the most up-to-date syllabus version is available on K-State Online.
- All students must exercise proper safety precautions in the laboratory. The safety guidelines below will be reviewed during the first lab period and as required during the semester.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the Agronomy 305 teaching laboratory.
- In the event of a fire alarm, the class will make an orderly exit of the laboratory, calmly proceed down the hall to the exit near the loading dock, and regroup on the loading dock parking lot.
- The emergency shower is on the east side of the laboratory near the bookshelf.
- Eyewashes are on the east side of the laboratory near the bookshelf.
- Sandals, flip-flops, and other open-toed shoes that do not fully cover the foot are not acceptable footwear for Agronomy 305 labs activities and field trips.
- Shorts, mini-skirts and other clothing that not fully covering the leg above the knee are not allowed for Agronomy 305 labs activities and field trips.
- Chemical spills should be immediately reported to the lab instructor.
- Broken glassware should be immediately reported to the lab instructor.
- Injuries during the laboratory activities should be immediately reported to the lab instructor.
- Transportation will be provided by K-State for all field trips.
- Some field trips may involve short hikes over uneven terrain. If you are unable to partake in such hikes, please notify the instructor at the beginning of the semester so that other arrangements can be made.
- Guests are not allow guests to join you during AGRON 305 laboratory sessions.